Learn more about Amphion
Amphion is an unincorporated community fourteen kilometres (nine miles) northwest of Pleasanton in west central Atascosa County.
Amphion was settled in the late 1880s, and had a post office from 1881 to 1916. It served as the first county seat of Atascosa County. In 1896, the population was reported as 100, and by 1904 the local public school had 72 students and two teachers. Amphion's decline began in 1909 when the Artesian Belt Railroad (from Macdona to Simmons City) bypassed it in favor...Read more